Start of Chemo!

On the 5th January I had my first round of Chemotherapy at University College Hospital, London. So far they have planned on doing 14 treatments (approx 7 months) with 5 different intense Chemotherapy drugs every 2 or 3 weeks (plus radiotherapy or surgery if/when necessary) depending on how this tumor responds to the treatment this may change. 

The first treatment involved 3 different types of chemotherapy drugs over a period of 2 days. The first day was all three drugs which were inserted through a drip over a few hours. The second day was only one of the drugs which only took about 10 minutes!!

During Chemo! Ouch!
During the first treatment I was taken to a room with other teenagers and young adults also having Chemotherapy. This is a good idea as it doesn't feel so daunting knowing you are not on your own and you have others to support you going through the same treatment. I also had a really attentive and supportive nurse named Holly who stayed with me during the whole process. I was extremely nervous to how I would respond to the treatment and it's side effects but Holly stayed with me during the treatment and gave me reassurance and really took my mind of it. Before the chemotherapy I was given anti-sickness drugs which thankfully seemed to work!  The only side effect I experienced was an itchy face which was normal for one of the drugs but the nurses gave me medicine to help relieve the symptoms although this made me extremely drowsy!

After the Chemotherapy my mum and I stayed in the hospital hotel named 'Cotton Rooms' just around the corner from the main hospital. The hotel was lovely and very modern. The room had complimentary tea and mince pies which was a really nice touch. It felt as though you was staying at a hotel on holiday! The room had a panic button too so if I was to have any concerns or felt unwell I was able to contact someone immediately which really put my mind at ease. The hotel also offers an amazing complimentary breakfast! This was a buffet of traditional English or Continental breakfasts. I took full advantage (obviously!) and had a full English breakfast and fruit and yogurt to finish! Yum! 
Our room!

Hotel bathroom

The amazing hotel breakfast! 

One week since having the Chemotherapy I have only experienced little sickness but I have been given anti-sickness medicine which thankfully has worked wonders! Tiredness has really taken its toll so I've had lots of sleep (which admittedly hasn't changed that much ha) but overall the symptoms haven't been too bad. Although there is a long road ahead, I am relieved to get started. Bring on the next one!

Comments

  1. Your one beautiful brave young lady well done Imogen ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sad it has happened to you! Your such a beautiful young girl, Well Done for being so positive! x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment