My new "Normal"

When starting a journey everyone says the beginning is always the hardest.. I have to admit I definitely agree. But it does get easier. It has been four weeks since I started treatment and adjusting to my "new normal" has definitely had it's ups and downs -  but I'm getting there. For example, remembering to take my anti-sickness medication at the correct times and spread them out evenly during chemotherapy/when I return home can sometimes get a little confusing! I'm also reducing my steroid dosage at the moment (Hooray! Goodbye chubby cheeks, crazy mood swings and sugar cravings!) so to help myself I have written down on a piece of paper how many tablets I need to take a day and what time to take the tablets and stuck it on the fridge as reminder to myself. Also remembering hospital appointments or booking pre-chemo blood tests can get a little confusing too, but logging everything on a calendar and setting reminders has also helped. (Chemo brain can sometimes take over!) Fighting cancer is a very demanding task I must say! I have remind myself this new "normal" is just temporary phase to get well again - and that makes me feel a little better.
My box of medication - I think I could open my own pharmacy!

Setting goals and objectives 
Being at home recovering from treatment can also get SUPER boring and demotivating! I really miss going to work and having a purpose for getting up each day, even just ticking something off a "to-do" list or sounds silly but even something little like making a colleague a cup of tea used to make me feel good. So on days I have less energy or feel rubbish I believe its important to set goals. Even if it's get up brush my teeth, shower and make breakfast by myself I feel like I have achieved something. It may sound silly but really does work! On better days I enjoy writing my blog and I have recently taken up drawing again which actually has become also very therapeutic. I used to enjoy Art at school but never really had much time out to sit down and take a moment to draw. So now I have a bit of spare time over the next few months I thought to myself why not start now! It does feel great to really focus on something too. If I'm feeling anxious about a symptom or an upcoming hospital appointment drawing really helps distract me. Putting on some of my favorite music and taking time out to concentrate on something else I feel is a great way to chill out and really put my mind at ease.


Breakfast!


Chemotherapy Update... 2 cycles down woo!
I'm currently two cycles of chemotherapy down and it has strangely gone slightly quicker than I thought. The second round of chemo has gone a lot more smoothly so far, I'm learning when to slow down and listen to my body when it needs to rest but also making most of the energy I do have. I haven't had stomach issues this time thankfully (hoping it stays that way!) I did have a bit of blip with my eye just before I started the next round though which was scary. My eye swelled up again and I really struggled to open it for a few days, so my consultant upped by steroids slightly to ease the symptoms. Unfortunately I won't be able to tell whats going on until by first treatment scan which will be on Wednesday 19th September (I'm super anxious for this ahh) however I remember when my symptoms first begin by eye was up and down quite a lot so I'm trying not to overthink anything at the moment. My consultant reassured me its a very sensitive area so any change good or bad can cause symptoms. Since then my eye has actually calmed down even with the steroid reduction. My double vision has also improved which has reassured me - so fingers crossed!


Attempting a gentle jog in the park with Marmite one week post chemotherapy - I was so proud of myself!

Hair Loss Update
My hair started thinning about 2 weeks after my first chemotherapy session so just before by second round of chemotherapy I decided to take the plunge and shave the remaining hair off. My mum and my younger brother were also there to support me which made me feel more relaxed about it. Strangely I didn't cry, but instead felt a little relieved it was over. Coping with hair loss this time has been a little easier. I know a have much fewer sessions of chemotherapy so hopefully having no hair won't last too long. I also kept my headbands and my wig from my previous treatment which has been very handy. The only negative is my head now gets SUPER CHILLY all the time but buying some cool beanie hats and head scarfs has definitely helped. I have to admit I do sometimes feel anxious about what people think when I go out in public but I remind myself I shouldn't have to hide my battle - and I should be proud. Hair loss is never easy for anyone and especially for a girl and I do miss my hair a lot but a fellow cancer survivor said to me it is a small temporary sacrifice to save your life - and I couldn't agree more.

My remaining hair
Hello baldie! 
Thank you all for taking the time to read!

Lots of love,
Imogen x

Comments