Chemotherapy - Cycle One

Okay I'm going to give you guys a taste of the chemo life! I have currently completed one cycle of chemotherapy which I will speak in detail in this post..

So after an emotional and distressing consultation with my oncologist he afterwards gently asked me "Imogen when would you like to start chemotherapy?" and without hesitation and much thought I looked up at him said "Can I start now?" He looked surprised, but also a little relieved. Unfortunately it was too late in the day to begin straight away as the nurses needed to check my blood levels and other bits and bobs.. also the doctors actually had to make up the Chemotherapy for me! So we decided to begin on the following day.

Chemotherapy Day 1 - Wednesday 15th August 2018 
I traveled up to the Macmillan Centre in London with my mum and my younger brother for my first cycle. I sat down in a grey chair which seemed oh so familiar and a little frightening. Although, I was around other patients similar to my age also having chemo which felt comforting and made the situation a little bit easier. My nurse came over and then placed a cannula in my hand ready. (Admittedly I had to have numbing cream first as even to this day - I hate needles!) The chemotherapy drugs I am having are different to the ones I have had before. I suppose the doctors want to try treat this with a drug my cancer doesn't recognize. The drugs I am having are called Cyclophosamide & Tampotecan which are apparently commonly used for treatment of Recurrent Ewing Sarcoma. Each infusion takes about 30 minutes for each treatment (1 hour in total) and this is repeated everyday for 5 days. The current plan is 6 cycles of chemotherapy although this may change slightly depending on how the cancer responds to the new treatment.
My cannula 
This photo was taken a few days before the swelling really took hold although you can see the effects of the tumor pressing down on my eye. - Please ignore the cream on my eyebrows too! (I had just had them microbladed - chemo prepping!)


Chemo Day 1 - My brother keeps me smiling!

Side Effects 

After the 5 days of chemo my body felt exhausted. It had been pumped with poison and I could definitely feel the effects. But knowing those drugs were destroying those nasty cells gave me a sense of relief. About 3 days after my energy did start to pick up which felt great. I did have a massive blip on around day 8 though... The cocktail of other medications I'm taking (The steroids and anti-sickness) had caused chronic constipation, sickness & diarrheoa (ALL IN ONE BLOODY DAY!) I spent majority the day in the toilet crawled up on the floor with just a blanket over me. Oh the sight! My poor mum had to listen to me crying in pain. I felt awful. After a lot of rest I did start recover a couple of days after - yay! I even traveled to the beach with my Dad, Nan & Brother and been out with friends which was absolutely amazing.

Day on the beach feeling a lot better! - My eye is opening again yay! 


Progress
Before I started the chemo my eye was sealed shut from the swelling, the tumour was also pushing it down which caused my vision to become blurry with black dots. I also had double vision which was causing dizziness. GOOD NEWS GUYS. After one cycle my double vision has reduced quite a lot. The swelling is beginning to go down and I am starting to open my eye a lot more! My vision is starting to improve too. I really hope this means the chemo is working. *KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED* Although I won't find out until my after my 3rd cycle when my oncologist will do a scan.

Thought I would end this post with a ...CHEMO TOP TIP: I take A LOAD of anti-sickness and eat like a pig about an hour before the infusion.. This prevents the nausea and I tend to lose my appetite post infusion so stocking my tummy with a load of good food makes me feel so much better.

Napping with my gorgeous little puppy Marmite x 


Thank you for reading!

Lots of love
Imogen x

Comments

Post a Comment