Bits and bobs

Hey everyone. As you probably all know I have been recovering from my ops / starting.. well finishing off my course of chemotherapy. Not much has really been happening so I thought I'd write about some small bits and bobs about the treatment and how I've been getting on etc.

I have another 7 rounds of chemo to go as I was only half way through before my op and as much I didnt want to carry on the treatment me and my onocologist thought it would be best to finish off to give it the best chance of not returning. As usual I have been suffering the normal side effects of fatigue, nausea, muscle pain and hair loss.. yes my hair has started to come out again and I am gutted! It felt so good to have my hair back even if it was reallllllly short. However its a relief to know it grows back quickly after treatment as I used to get nightmares of forever being bald!

Some good news however I have been getting up and moving around a lot more which has improved my walking already. I even ran for the first time the other day which I never would of thought I could have done 7 months ago! It seems to surreal that I was in a wheelchair before my first op and now I can walk almost normally without any crutches. Woohoo!
Getting ready for one my brisk walks. Excercising on chemo isnt easy! 

You know that sick feeling you get when you're about to open your exam results and you think its most likely going to be bad news.. but actually it didnt turn out as bad as you thought. Thats the feeling I get everytime I visit my onocologist. She is one of them people who are brilliant at what they do but are very clinical and doesn't give much sympathy. Most of the time when I see her she has the same straight face and tells it how it is and gets on with her day. Our meetings usually consist of going through my symptoms with the last cycle of chemo, any updates of scans and then she signs me off to do my next round of chemo. Simple as that. However in our last meeting she seemed in a unusually happy mood and even grinned at me as I walked in which has happened literally never. I sat down and she went through the usual stuff but then said that one of the chemo drugs was being taken away from my course (which is the strongest and most grimmest one!) And then she explained about what happens when I stop my treatment in a couple of months. I was so happy. It really started to feel like this horror was coming close to the end and I could start to plan my future after cancer.

I remember seeing a quote which said "Whoever thinks winning isn't everything never had cancer." I find this incredibly true. I used to take life for granted untill I spent months fighting for it everyday. Most people when they get diagnosed with cancer think its a death sentence but truthfully I never thought about dying I just thought about living and knowing I've been through some trials to earn that I will be forever proud of myself. Never give up.

Comments

  1. Empathy my dear, that's what she gave....sympathy is for the people who lost something.....and you've gained so much through this.

    So what month do you finish Chemo? And how soon after can we take you out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Paul!! I finish in early September but will probably need a month or so to recover. Would love to all meet up soon after though! X

      Delete

Post a Comment