First step to recovery (Part 2)

From my previous post I had started to explain what happened when I had my two-part operations to remove the tumour. Unfortunately in both parts (didn't matter which one) had the high risk of my left arm becoming paralyzed as Mr Choi explained that it was necessary to cut the nerves if he was to be able to remove the entire tumour.

I woke up from the first operation in the high dependency unit high from morphine not really knowing what was going on around me, however amazingly my arm was completely okay! This was a huge relief but in the back of my mind I knew I had part two of the operation a week later which held the same risk. Most of the time I was drifting in and out of sleep not really taking much in. The nurses had to help me eat but unfortunately blood had managed to leak into my lungs so I was constantly coughing up blood and it was difficult to swallow. Drains had to be inserted into my neck and either side of my ribcage to help drain the excess blood. I looked like something out of a horror film!

A week went by so the next part of the operation was coming close and I had barely recovered from my first op so I extremely nervous. The nurses took me down to theatre again with my mum by side and I remember looking down at my left arm thinking "is this the last time I will see you move again?" I was absolutely petrified.

After the 8 hour operation I woke up again in intensive care and the first thing I remember is my mum squeezing my hand saying "Oh my god Imogen look you can move your arm!" It actually felt like a miracle! I was so relieved. When I woke up properly I asked Mr Choi how my arm managed to be okay. He explained that in some cases if nerves become damaged or die new nerves will replaced the damaged ones or the nerves you have left will compensate if others have been lost. It really is amazing how much my body has been through the last few months and yet it is still fighting and I am so grateful.

Six weeks on I am finishing the rest of my course of chemotherapy and radiotherapy.  However I only have a couple more months to go and I am unbelievably excited. Although the tumour has gone my onocologist cant give me the all clear untill my treatment is complete however I am feeling a lot closer to the finish line now. I am so proud at how far I have come since the start of the year and has definitely made me a much stronger person physically and mentally. This will definitely be a story to tell the grandchildren!

Comments